Sushi, a time-honored Japanese delicacy, has captivated taste buds worldwide with its exotic flavors and captivating presentation. Even to this day, it maintains its popularity across the globe. Typically crafted with rice, nori, and fish, sushi offers endless possibilities for fillings, including fish, cheese, vegetables, and more. The remarkable aspect of this dish is that it can be easily prepared at home, instantly becoming a beloved favorite for the entire family.
If you’re an avid sushi enthusiast yearning to explore the culinary arts, this comprehensive, step-by-step sushi recipe is your ticket to bringing this exotic delight straight to your own kitchen.
Step-by-step instructions for making sushi
- Prepare the rice. Sushi calls for a special variety of round-grain rice known for its stickiness, which helps the roll maintain its shape. Begin by thoroughly rinsing the rice and draining the water 3-4 times. Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package or refer to our detailed sushi rice recipe for guidance.
- Prepare the rice dressing. In a small saucepan, combine 100 ml of rice vinegar, 40 g of sugar, and 12 g of salt. Mix the ingredients thoroughly until they form a smooth mixture. Heat the mixture for about 5 minutes or until everything is completely dissolved. Remember to stir consistently to achieve the highest quality and tastiest dressing. Pour the dressing over the cooked rice and stir gently. To preserve the rice’s texture, we recommend transferring the cooked rice to a wooden or plastic container.
- Cut the nori sheet. Cut the nori seaweed sheet in half widthwise and use one half for your sushi. Place the half-sheet on a bamboo mat (also known as a sushi mat).
- Spread the rice. Take the boiled and dressed rice and spread it evenly on the rough side of the nori sheet, covering the entire surface in a dense layer. Leave about a 1.5 cm space without rice at the top edge of the sheet.
- Add the filling. Place a few strips of your desired filling in the middle of the rice-covered nori sheet. Make sure to prepare and cut your favorite ingredients into strips beforehand.
- Roll it up. Lift the bamboo mat from the free side and start rolling it up, using your thumbs to hold it gently. Secure the mat once the filling is completely enclosed, and firmly compact the roll. Give it a few additional rolls to ensure that the filling is evenly distributed throughout.
- Slice the roll. After letting the roll sit for 5-7 minutes, cut it into 6-8 pieces. It’s best to use a sharp knife, periodically dipping it in cold water with vinegar to prevent sticking. For added flavor and presentation, sprinkle sesame seeds on the finished rolls. Serve the sushi with wasabi, pickled ginger, and classic soy sauce.
Now, enjoy your delicious homemade sushi!
We hope you get it right the first time!
We wish you bon appétit!