Sushi, rolls, salads and other dishes of Asian cuisine are often prepared from salmon, tuna, eel, salmon. They can be incredibly tasty and useful, but only if the product is fresh and of high quality. You may have a question “how to choose fish for sushi”? Therefore, today we want to share with you some tricks for the correct selection and processing of fresh fish.
What to pay attention to when buying?
If you decide to buy fresh fish for rolls, you need to remember several important features:
- It should have a dense fillet and an elastic belly. Fluffy fish can be sick or stale.
- The eyes of fresh fish are clear, and the scales are shiny silver-white.
- If it is a salmon, choose the one with bright gills.
- What is the best tool to use when processing?
- We will need a sharp knife during slicing. It is best to use a special Japanese knife, but at home, any with a blade at least 20 cm long is suitable. This is important, because this way you can cut and not tear the fibers. Remember that when using a blunt knife, bacteria can grow in the torn fibers of the fish.
- It is also better to have special tweezers with which you can remove the bones from the fish.
How to prepare fish?
Before you start cutting the fillet, you need to process it in a special way:
- Before slicing for sushi, cover the fish with salt and leave for 10–15 minutes.
- After that, rinse it well under running water, getting rid of salt, and soak it in rice vinegar diluted with water (proportion 1: 1) for 2–3 minutes. This procedure will kill all bacteria.
- After that, we will wipe it with a dry paper towel and start slicing.
Now you can start preparing Japanese recipes – the most important ingredient will definitely not let you down. We will be glad if our tips for the right choice of fresh fish helped you to make dishes safe and tasty! Also, be sure to check out other quality Katana sushi products.