Sesame oil is one of the most versatile Asian products. Its rich nutty taste perfectly complements both main dishes and desserts. In addition, the benefits of sesame oil are invaluable — it has a positive effect on almost all organs.
Useful properties of sesame oil
This product has a positive effect on the state of the body, allowing you to stay healthy for many years. The main beneficial properties of sesame oil are as follows:
- reduces the level of “harmful” cholesterol;
- normalizes digestion;
- makes blood vessels more elastic, helps to stabilize pressure;
- improves brain activity;
- positively affects the condition of the skin, makes it more elastic, preventing the appearance of wrinkles and stretch marks;
- a source of vitamins, antioxidants, fatty amino acids, including omega-3 and omega-6;
- it is worth adding this oil to salads and cereals so that the fat-soluble vitamins contained in other ingredients are better absorbed.
How is sesame oil used in food?
Thanks to its excellent taste and aroma, the use of sesame oil in cooking is quite wide. It is most often used for the following purposes.
- Used for frying in a pan. But it cannot be used in its pure form, as it burns quickly. It is better to cook in more heat-resistant oil, and add sesame at the very end to give the dish a sweet nutty flavor;
- Salads and porridges are served. In addition to excellent taste, this oil also has high nutritional value, which allows it to replace butter for fasting people and vegans. It is usually added to rice, especially when cooking pilaf. To prepare an original salad dressing, the oil can be mixed with a small amount of soy sauce, and for sweet dishes – with honey;
- Sesame oil is often used for marinating, stewing and baking meat, fish, poultry, seafood, as well as vegetables and mushrooms;
- Oil is often used as a component of baking or for greasing the mold so that the dish is permeated with its taste and aroma;
- To get an original spicy marinade or dressing, sesame oil is slightly heated and various spices are added to it, for example, saffron, turmeric, curry, cloves, cardamom or ginger.
How and where to store sesame oil
People who have purchased this wonderful product often have a question about how to store sesame oil. Due to the presence of the natural preservative sesamol in the oil, the product can be stored for several years. The main thing is to follow the following rules.
- Store sesame oil in a dry place away from sunlight and high temperatures. So you can extend the shelf life of sesame oil up to 8 years.
- You cannot use metal or plastic containers, because after some time they will saturate the oil with harmful substances.
- Another important question is how to store sesame oil after opening. Store the opened bottle for no longer than six months in a dry, dark place. Try to buy oil in small bottles so that the product does not have time to spoil.
- If sesame oil is stored in the refrigerator, it may become more cloudy and thick, sediment may appear in it. This is a normal reaction of the product to low temperatures.
How to choose the right sesame oil?
When shopping, people often wonder which sesame oil is better: dark or light? We will answer this question and share a few more tips from our practice.
- The color of the oil does not really play a significant role. It depends on many factors, the main thing is that the product is made from black or white sesame seeds.
- Please note that pure sesame oil burns quickly, it is only suitable for use in salad or porridge. To make it more stable, manufacturers, including TM Katana, add 20–30% soybean oil to the composition. This blend is great for frying, stewing, and baking, and this mix is also delicious raw.
- Do not worry if you see a small sediment at the bottom of the bottle – this indicates that the product is natural.
Now you know where to store sesame oil, how to choose a quality product and where to use it. We are sure that with Katana refined sesame oil, your dishes will always be tasty and healthy!